Lately, Mark has been having fits. Giant, throw-himself-on-the-ground-kicking-and-screaming (and hitting) fits. Most of these, we figure, are because Anne is mobile and getting into his stuff. We've been working with Mark on communicating his feelings without yelling or hitting, and we've set aside some space for Mark to play sister-free.
But we've also been doing a lot of Putting the Smack Down.
Here's some hightlights from a recent Smack Down Session:
Matt: I know Anne wants to do what you do and play with your toys, and that can be frustrating sometimes. But it's really because she wants to be just like you and do what you do. Don't you sometimes want to be like me? And do what I do, even though you're littler?
Mark: No. I want to be like mom.
Matt: Oh yeah, why?
Mark: She knows how to do more things than you.
Then, later, after several hours of sitting alone in his room, without any of his toys or anything to do but talk about his behavior:
Mark: I am going to be ready to talk about my behavior in a few minutes. I gave each of us a guy to sit next to us while we talk. Dad, you have Baby Elmo. Mom, you have Knuffle Bunny. I have Grover. Is everyone ready? (insert dramatic pause here) Then I get to go first because my guy has the biggest eyes.
Monday, October 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment