Editor's notes: Here is the third in a series of five never-before-seen poems by the extremely erstwhile poet, m.e.hanley.The short but powerful"turtle" may be the most frightening of rediscovered series.
The isolation of the author - afraid a single misstep will lead to "yelling" and "screaming" - is apparent. He is alone in a cruel world. Ironically, he finds solace in a "turtle": an animal that can lock itself away with its own portable armor. Is this a doppelganger for the author?
This imagery peaks with the sheer absurdity of walking a pet turtle. The perverse visual of dragging a little shell down the sidewalk on a leash is undoubtedly meant to disorient the reader and make them question their own humanity.
Indeed, by the end, we are left to wonder whether the turtle is such an "awesome" pet. Especially because they don't live as long as you'd think.
The turtle poem
by m.e.hanley
A turtle is an awesome pet,
I have one for myself,
He never yells at what I do,
Only worrys about himself.
He does not yell and scream,
If I do something wrong.
He just hopes when I take a walk,
I'll bring him along.
No comments:
Post a Comment