Thursday, May 20, 2010

The eight-month Mark

Mark Hanley, at eight months
The measurements: Chunky, short.
Best friends: My dad says that there is nothing he's experienced that is more rewarding and enriching than when he walks into the house and I burst into a huge smile. And he says that experience is in no way diminished when he takes me into a room and I give the same thrilled reaction to a ceiling fan. The point here is: I really like fans. They're interesting, don't you think? Fascinating.
Enemies: This new thing in my mouth. It showed up about a week ago and just sits there, sticking right up out of my bottom gum. It doesn't feel all that great and it doesn't serve any purpose that I can figure. I think it even woke me up a few nights. Mom says some day it's going to help me eat pizza, so I guess I'll let it stay. But this pizza stuff better be good.
Just found out about: This is easy. Clapping. Shaking my head. Waving.
Who knew it was so easy and so cheap to be so happy? I'm sort of embarrassed that last month I was bragging about sitting up for 10 minutes. There's so much more to life than just sitting up. Why not clap your hands together? Or bang two toys together? Or bend your hand at the fingers so people know you're saying 'hello'? Or how about just shaking your head back and forth like a wild man?
I encourage you to try it! It's amazing. It's hard to imagine that six months ago I was barely smiling. I'm starting to communicate!
I'm not so sure about: Easy - clapping, shaking my head, waving.
I like all this stuff but it's still a little hard to remember which action goes with what and when. Clap when people walk in the room? Shake my head when I want more food? Oh, to live in the carefree days as a seventh month old! There was so much less to keep track of.
Favorite activities: Art class with Daddy! Two weeks ago, we had a great time. I got to put my hands in paint and then dad ran around the room, his eyes getting wider and wider while I got bluer and bluer. It was a blast! I can't wait to see what he color he paints me for Memorial Day.
I have a crush on: All my new friends! Not only did I get to meet Elaina, but I met my great aunt Maryanne, my cousin Kait, my great-uncle Roger and my great-aunt Candy. That's like a 40-percent increase in my rolodex!
Major accomplishments: The aforementioned clapping, head shaking and waving. With the support from my family, I've nearly kicked my oatmeal habit. Donated my hair to the oil rescue efforts. (And that is the reason I'm pretty much still bald.) Became an honorary smurf.

No comments: