Monday, September 20, 2010

The One-Year Mark

Mark Hanley, at 12 months

The measurements: 22 lbs 13 oz, 28.5 inches long. That's average for kids my age, although my head's still a little larger-than-life. I'm now big enough to wear 12-month pants and 18-month shirts. Good thing baby hats don't come in sizes. Ahem.

Best Friends: Books, Jack, books, fishies (real or in books), and anyone who will hold me through my nap no matter how sweaty I get. Also: books.

Enemies: Diaper changes. I refuse to be held down!
Also: solid foods. Mom and Dad have tried and tried, but I refuse to eat real food. If they give me finger foods, I won't put them into my mouth. If they give me mushy bits of barely solid food (like bananas or watermelon), I fight to keep them out. If they sneak some in, I gag or throw up. I even chuck when they sneak bits of fruit into my baby food. Mom is checking whether they serve purees in the high school cafeteria.

Just found out about: Pretending to hit my head. I ram my head into lots of things, and do you know what I've discovered? Every time, Mom or Dad pick me up and give me a hug. So I decided to "hit my head" more often. Maybe Mom or Dad tells me not to climb up the stairs and I get mad? I'll just cry and pretend I hit my head, so they'll pick me up. Or, maybe, I get caught eating the dog's food? Grab the side of my head. Get in trouble for throwing toys on the floor in a restaurant? Cry and hold my head. Mom and Dad are fooled, every time.

I'm not so sure about: Walking. I can stand for a really long time. I've heard that the next thing I need to master is taking steps. It just seems useless and illogical when I can get around so well by crawling.

Favorite activities: Attacking people while they're sleeping. Mom taught me this trick so I could wake up Daddy on Saturday mornings. Here's how it works: I see a person I love lying still, then I crawl over to them as fast as I can and jump on them, yelling like a wild man all the while. Then they hug me while I yell and yell and yell. The problem is that I now associate hugging with yelling. Oops.

I have a crush on: Birthdays and birthday parties! Did you know that people throw you a party and buy you presents simply for getting older? What a great deal. I think I'll have a birthday every year.

Major accomplishments: So far, I can say: hi, Jack, mama, and dada. I can MOOO like a cow and smack my lips like a fishie. I can sign "all done" and let Mommy or Daddy know when I'm hurt. I can blow kisses, complete with a very dramatic MMMWWWAHHH noise. I can stand on my own. I can ride forward-facing in the car: HOORAY! And I can sort-of help put away my own toys. As long as I haven't just hit my head.

No comments: