We've been together a long time. Through the Strawberry years and the Mark Carreon and Rico Brogna eras. Through the Jason Isringhuasen Before He Got Good times and the Terrible, Epic, No-Good Collapse of 2007.
Did I mention that you are killing me here?
Did I mention that practically everyone I know is a Cubs fan? I've spent a year sifting through this nonsense from last season. And now the Brewers are apparently going to pitch C.C. Sabathia every night. And you're finding unexpected ways to hand this thing over. A man on the third with no outs in the seventh. No runs. A man on third with no outs in the ninth. A fly ball wins the game! All right, the first guy strikes out - no flyball. But you still manage to the load the bases with one out...and still no runs. Aaaargh!!
“When tomorrow comes, hopefully the sun comes up,” manager Jerry Manuel told the Associated Press after Wednesday's loss to the Cubs, 9-6 in 10 innings. “It might not.”
Gee, thanks, Jerry. Your confidence is uplifting.
Did I mention that not too long ago, I dreamed of the Cubs, White Sox, Brewers and Mets making the playoffs? Everything was in place. It would have been a dream match up - lots of fun inter-Hanley rivalries. But really, deep in my heart, in the parts of my soul where I store batting statistics and presidential trivia, I only cared about the Mets making it. It's ugly, but it's true. So, the wheels exploded on the Brewers bus and the White Sox are floundering. That's been an ugly sight to watch here in the Midwest. But even from 400 miles away, the smell of your bullpen drowns most of it out.
Did I mention your bullpen reeks? Reminds me of bull something else. Billy Wagner was good - no doubt - but there's not one other arm that can throw an inning or two and give up less than three runs? Find Lee Smith. Bobby Thigpen's still around and looking good. Jeff Montgomery's available. Roberto Hernandez always seems to be pitching somewhere. Greg Olson? Even Dan Quisenberry could be an improvement, and he's been dead 10 years.
Did I mention you're killing me? Seriously, pull it together.
Most sincerely,
Matt
No comments:
Post a Comment