Stolen from the pages of the Beacon, here's Matt's annual list of Top 10 movies. For Matt, 2009 was a wonderful year in so many ways. But it was not a wonderful year for going to the movies. It was actually a better year for being in the movies than attending them. It was worth it.So, if you want some likely dead-on predictions, check out Tripp's thoughts here.
No predictions from Matt, but if you want to see who Matt thought was slighted by the Osar nominations (yes, even with 10 best picture nominees), you can read the story here.
And, no, Matt did not list himself as best supporting supporting actor.
10. Food Inc.
I’m tempted to put the Baby Mozart DVD here, since it can hold my 5-month-old son’s attention for 15 minutes, providing cover while I eat dinner. That makes it one of my favorite movies this year. Sadly Mozart was released in 2000. Instead, I’ll choose this year’s best documentary. This movie made me take a second look at everything I eat — and gave me ideas on how to affect change.
9. Bruno
Bruno is far less accessible and far more biting than Sacha Baron Cohen’s previous character, Borat. It was easy to laugh at bystanders in Borat, but audiences seem hesitant to laugh at the homophobia in Bruno. But that’s the movie’s uncomfortable brilliance, right?
8. The Hurt Locker
There’s a lot to like in “Hurt Locker,” the best fictional movie made about the Iraqi War. The movie was tense, challenging and had a point of view. Jeremy Renner was spectacular.
7. The Invention of Lying
OK, this wasn’t the perfect movie. But it was the most ambitious piece of writing this year. Ricky Gervais takes the funny, inventive idea implied by his title and uses it to challenges viewers. This is not the movie portrayed in trailers: I’m surprised there weren’t protests.
6. Where the Wild Things Are
How this didn’t get an adapted screenplay nomination for turning a nine-sentence book into a 101-minute movie is beyond me. Writer Dave Eggers and director Spike Jonez found a way to film the wonders of childhood imagination and the terror of impending adulthood. A deeply symbolic movie that kids and adults can appreciate.
5. Sugar
In a down year for documentaries, “Sugar” was a fictional film that felt very real. I’ve been a huge baseball fan for years but I’ll view the International Pastime differently after this movie about young Dominicans trying to make it to the big leagues. This isn’t a sports movie. It’s about outsiders trying to find their home.
4. Goodbye Solo
The third movie from the director of “Man Push Cart” and “Chop Shop” returns to similar themes: immigrants living on the fringe of society. This time it’s a joyous taxi driver (who wants to be a flight attendant) that picks up a fare with few prospects. This is a touching film about what it means to be a friend and what we owe strangers.
3. The Hangover
This was the funniest movie I’ve seen in years. Unlike a lot of “dumb comedies”, it had great writing and a real plot. Zach Galifianakis created one of the all-time great characters.
2. Away We Go
I’m glad to see this on Andre’s list. I was afraid I was too biased seeing a movie about a pregnant couple trying to figure out their life while I was a dad-to-be trying to figure out his life. But this beautiful movie was funny, poignant and perfect.
1. In The Loop
Here’s a brilliant little dark comedy about the U.S. and Britain misusing assumptions and half facts while on the verge of war in Iraq. That would never happen, right? Outstanding performances and pitch-perfect writing.
The Elevens: A Serious Man; Up; I Love You, Man; Invictus
Some worthy movies I didn't see: Avatar, Up In the Air, Crazy Heart, The Messenger, Precious (Yes, that’s some big misses. I blame the baby. He only wants to see independent films.)
No comments:
Post a Comment